University of Kwazulu Natal
The University of KwaZulu-Natal was formed on 1 January 2004 as a result of the merger between the University of Durban-Westville and the University of Natal. The new university brings together the rich histories of both the former Universities.
The University of Durban-Westville was established in the 1960s as the University College for Indians on Salisbury Island in Durban Bay. Student numbers throughout the 1960s were low as a result of the Congress Alliances’ policy of shunning apartheid structures. This policy gave way in the 1980s to a strategy of “education under protest” which sought to transform apartheid institutions into sites of struggle. Student numbers grew rapidly and in 1971, the College was granted University status. The following year, the newly-named University of Durban-Westville moved into its modern campus in Westville and was a site of major anti-apartheid struggle. UDW became an autonomous institution in 1984, opening up to students of all races.
Founded in 1910 as the Natal University College in Pietermaritzburg, the University of Natal was granted independent University status in 1949 owing to its rapid growth in numbers, its wide range of courses and its achievements in and opportunities for research. By that time, the NUC was already a multi-campus institution, having been extended to Durban after World War 1. The distinctive Howard College building was opened in 1931, following a donation by Mr T B Davis, whose son Howard Davis was killed during the Battle of Somme in World War I. In 1946, the government approved a Faculty of Agriculture in Pietermaritzburg and, in 1947, a Medical School for African, Indian and Coloured students in Durban.
University of Kwazulu Natal Offered Courses | Programmes
- School of Applied Human Sciences
- School of Arts
- School of Built Environment and Development Studies
- School of Education
- School of Religion, Philosophy and Classics
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Engineering
- School of Agricultural, Earth and Environmental Sciences
- School of Chemistry and Physics
- School of Life Sciences
- School Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science
- School of Clinical Medicine
- School of Laboratory Medicine & Medical Sciences
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Nursing & Public Health
- Graduate School of Business and Leadership
- School of Accounting, Economics and Finance
- School of Law
- School of Management, IT and Governance
University of Kwazulu Natal Tuition Fees
|Cost of Living in Country||–||–|
University of Kwazulu Natal Requires Documents
· Certified copy of your ID/passport.
· Certified copy of your National Senior/Matric Certificate or O/A Levels or relevant school leaving qualification/certificate.
· Proof from Universities South Africa (previously known as HESA), that you qualify for admission to degree studies at South Africa universities, if you are an international applicant. For more information, refer to the undergraduate prospectus
· Certified copies of your degree certificate(s), academic record and certificate of conduct, if you attended other universities.
· Proof of English proficiency for International applicants from non-English speaking countries.
· South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) evaluations if the previous qualification(s) was/were obtained at foreign universities (outside South Africa).
· A research proposal/proposed title of the dissertation/thesis if you are applying for a Masters Degree or PhD.
· A valid study visa to study in SA if you are an International applicant.
· Before applying online please make sure that you have read the guidelines above.
· Please ensure that you have the USAF/SAQA documents to be uploaded in order to complete your application.
· Please ensure to use reference APPN (followed by your student number) when making application fee payment.
· Please allow the system 24 hrs to 48 hrs to clear your payment.
· South African first time undergraduate applicants applying to UKZN must apply via CAO at www.cao.ac.za
Errors and Suggestion
Notice: If you are a student of this university or have information about this university,
do not hesitate to share with us if you see incorrect or incomplete information. Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below.
Important Notice: When starting your education life, do not just proceed in line with this information. This information provides basic information about the university.
Make contact with university before your final decision.
For more: List of universities by country